Friday, August 04, 2006

Courtesy Message: My Blogging Philsophy

As a general rule, I hate blogs. I also generally dislike people who blog. Depending on who you are, those two facts might offend you, please you, and/or come to the inevitable conclusion that I'm a flaming hypocrite.

Most of my dislike of blogs come from my observation of other people's blogs and the attitude with which I envision them typing said blog. Is it just me, or do you see in your mind people sitting at their computer with this incredibly stern look on their face, stroking their would-be beard and wondering what wonderful thoughts the rest of the world can't live without. Undoubtedly, these people base their lives on the assumption that, if the world were perfect, they and their coffeehouse buddies would most definately be on some sort of equilateral council that would decide what would be best for the world.

Most of the discussions of this council would surround what should be done about global warming, what should be done about fair trade coffee (even though nearly every company now sells it), and (at least in Christian circles) what should be done about a whole host of systemic social problems they assume can be changed at the flip of a switch. After discussing these issues, these bloggers pat eachother on the back, look down their noses at the factory workers who couldn't go to college, and go to bed after having a bottle of some sort of foreign nasty-tasting (but novel) beer.

I'm writing this blog to use up spare time and to provide a hobby for myself after I'm married and the Tigers are in the offseason (or when they start losing like normal again). If you want to read it, great. If you don't, that's fine too. If you know me, you know I have two modes: crazy phrase-slinger with no restraints and thougtfully argumenitive. My guess is that this blog will navigate the waters between those two extremes. Don't read this and think, "I can't believe he's in seminary" or "He's got no idea what he's talking about it". I'm just writing, spewing, releasing. You opened the blog. Its your choice to read it. Here we go....

No comments: