Friday, December 08, 2006

Inbred Worship

A few friends of mine back at Dordt have a blog called What Grinds our Gears. If I had to write an entry about what grinds my gears, its problems with worship events in churches. This is particularly important to me now in my new job as Pastor of Worship at my church. We're starting to throw around a new term these days in our worship meetings: inbred worship. This is no slam on my wife or anybody from northern Michigan, its a term we use to stop ourselves from the temptation of making worship ours. This blog assumes Biblical worship categories and considerations....don't jump on my back unless you're attacking the actual text here.

There is a large temptation in the Christian worship arena that wants to make worship something that belongs to us. A current mission statement might look something like this: Worship is done by our congregation, with our congregation, and by our congregation for the benefit of our congregation in the context of our congregation. Ouch. The problem with this is, obviously, that it doesn't make room for God. Of course, we would all claim that our worship is for God, unless we're way out of line. But worship planning and practice quickly becomes a circle we enclose ourself within.

For example, as a worship planner, I'm in charge of reading our context. Then, I'm in charge of creating a relevant worship service. I pick songs I like (or I wrote) or that I think would "speak the congregation's language". After that, I go to worship and benefit greatly from the service. If its done right, my evaluation tells me we did a great job!

My worship class is attempting to teach us out of that idea. It said, lets not ask what worship can do for people, but how we can equip believers. Great idea. However, while we're equipping believers, here comes a non-believer. What are equipping them to do? Find Jesus, hopefully. But what kind of sermon equips believers and altar calls? I ain't got one of those on my computer.

In order to make worship that's not inbred, we should allow doors in our circle for entrance. These doors can be things like a gospel presentation in every service (not hoping for people to glean it off of our ritual). Another way is a highly accountable worship staff. I'm in the process of recruiting music people and non-music people to serve as service critiquers. Grandpa Frank who's plowed fields his whole life can be as good an evaluater of my service as Mrs. Jones who teaches music for a living. Why? Only asking music people about your music is back to the inbred. Its like one of those concerts where the choir does lots of really musically cool things, but the audience hates it because its completely irrelevant.

This isn't just music. Its preaching, its kids ministry, its offertories. Our prostrate nature in worship should limit our ultimate control over it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it when worship brings me to my knees and in tears because God is tearing away layers of me that is not needed. Worship is about submitting to God. God is more important than everything else in our lives. Worship is beyond what we do, but includes what we do. Just some thoughts. Peace and Love to you man

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark. Awesome post and questions... Have you ever read "Worship Evangelism" by Sally Morgenthaler? It's a fantastic book that speaks directly to the issue of having Followers and Un-churched in your congregation.

What songs are you guys currently into?

Mark Hilbelink said...

We've been experimenting this advent with working in different themes instead of the same old same old. One service, we meshed the ideas of Advent and Lent. Another service put together Advent and the 2nd coming. We've had great response thus far. We've themed our entire Advent program around the song "All Who are Thirsty", and more specifically the phrase, "Come, Lord Jesus, Come"

Anonymous said...

Awesome. It sounds like you guys are doing some creative stuff. :) Where are you currently going to school?

Mark Hilbelink said...

I go to Calvin Seminary in Grand Rapids.