Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Alcohol & Holiness

This Thursday, our Seminary community will take up what will undoubtedly be one of the most controversial topics ever addressed, let women in office: alcohol consumption by Christians. I've never quite known what to think about this subject, and I'll be the first to admit that my defenses for not drinking have changed over the years. In that light, it might be possible to say that I'm predisposed against alcohol consumption and therefore any argument I try and present is tainted because its simply a new sheath for an old sword. While that might be true, I've found lots of congruency in the holiness movement, understanding their approach to issues of social morality such as this, and I think its a helpful point to consider as I approach the town hall meeting on Thursday.

We have always been taught in Reformed circles that there are two types of people: those who try to earn their salvation (Catholics & holiness types) and those who rest in the election and consequent freedom of God's grace (Calvinists & Lutherans). Those are pretty distinct lines to draw. For one, there's no way that either tradition could totally rest in those categories and have any sort of relevancy. If Catholics and holiness traditions truly had no other purpose in theology than to try and achieve perfection, the movement would have fallen apart. Same with Calvinists/Lutherans: there has to be some moral and social conscience to temper Christian freedom (Paul's admission that all things are permissible for him is grossly expanded here).

I think both sides have their positives and negatives, but in the interest of space and time, I'm going to make an argument for the holiness side in the issue of alcohol consumption because I think it is more legitimate than my Calvinist colleagues are willing to admit.

First of all, we need a redefinition of "Christian freedom" from a holiness perspective. After all, they don't deny Christian freedom, but simply recategorize it. Instead of saying that Christian freedom is the right to do anything God doesn't specifically prohibit, it instead lays the doctrine at the feet of Jesus, saying that Christian freedom is the right to follow Christ more closely. See the difference? One is scouring the Bible for loopholes, while the other is giving the Bible the benefit of the doubt and filling in those cracks. Rather than not doing what the Bible doesn't say we can't do, holiness attempts to do more fully that which the Bible says we should do.

Secondly, the very definition of holiness has its roots in sanctification. Yes, John Wesley went to far at the end of his life, as others have, to promote a perfectionist doctrine. However, if you look at the roots of sanctification, its not pharisitical at all.....its the the same continuing sanctification Calvinists & Lutherans talk about. So if the rule of holiness is sanctification, then there is, at the very core of holiness, a concept of being "set apart". Yes, God sets us apart by dividing us from unbelievers at the last day, but lets think harder about this. How are we "set apart" during the week? Of course, this looks different for all of us. But in some way, we are all attempting to set ourselves apart from the world through moral action as the continuing work of sanctification is applied by the Holy Spirit. Paul continually calls us to a life that is different, a life that is "beyond reproach". In an age where alcohol has become the common currency of our culture, a legal drug, isn't it worth considering that maybe it is worth setting ourselves apart in this area - not in condemnation, but in faithful submission?

Thirdly, this is a different question for those in leadership or in future leadership than it is for laity. Sorry, but its true. In my current charge, my contract specifically states that neither my wife nor I are to drink any alcohol while employed by the church. My wife initially bucked this, not because she's a raging alcoholic (she's mostly given up alcohol for my sake), but because it violated her definition of Christian freedom. The church doesn't have a right to take that away! Well, thankfully, I've found a community that, like I, has chosen to use abstinence from alcohol as one way of "setting themselves apart". Its a very practical one in our congregation - we have several recovered alcoholics, several people with relatives who were victims of alcohol-related deaths, and people who are stuck with alcohol-related birth defects. Our community drinks their problems away - we do not. Now take this seriously, pastors and leadership in churches: you are held to a higher standard. Why are you willing to subject yourself to a suit & tie standard, a living-in-a-stinky-parsonage standard, a roast-pastor standard, a church polity standard, but not an alcohol-free standard? There's lots of things I don't do now that I'm a pastor that I might have done as a Christian in laity: TV shows, language, cigars, reckless driving, being a funny nuisance, playing pranks on Wal-Mart employees....all things I might not consider sinful, but also don't consider to reflect well on my church, reflect well on my congregation. Hanging out in a bar (and I would argue drinking at all) is one of those things.

Finally, there is the issue of the weaker brother. You may have been biting your tongue the entire time you read this, but now want to scream: "Why can't Christians reclaim alcohol for the Kingdom of God? Why can't we model a faithful use of alcohol?" While this is the one point at which I'm usually willing to yield the floor, I have continually been bombarded at the denominational seminary by drunkenness and pressure to drink. To this, I simply have to shake my head. My wife doesn't like it when I smoke cigars every once in a while. What would happen if I smoked them a lot and then blew the smoke in her face? You know. Well, I've got news for you, "Christian reclaimers of alcohol": don't blow smoke in our face. I'll stand with several of my respected colleagues and students who have consciously chosen not to drink for a variety of reasons: mine just so happens not to even be a moral objection. Additionally, Asian students, which comprise an ever-increasing chunk of our seminary community, are more offended by this than I am. There are constantly jokes made in classes and daily conversations at school about how commonplace alcohol is in social settings at our school. After many social invites comes a BYOB or a snicker about getting sloshed. Give me a break. Use that classis money with a little bit more dignity than blowing it on booze and then showing up at our school's food pantry to ask for food you can't afford. I am sad to say that I've had professors, staff people, graduated (& ordained) pastors, and students all joke about alcohol with me - with no acknowledgment that it might be offensive. Luckily, I'm past the point where open comments and joking about alcohol abuse offends me - heck, I'm a hockey player. What I don't like being told is that I would drink if I fully understood Christian freedom, especially when its slurred.

I guess at the end of day, I want for this topic what I want for all topics I post on this blog: recognize that there might just be two legitimate sides to every coin and perhaps we can show more tact and consideration for those who might suffer from alcoholism, have been affected by alcohol-related deaths/problems and those who choose not to drink out of conscientious objection. Are we able to have this debate as people who don't feel like we already know it all? I hope so, but I more so hope that we can have this debate sober.

11 comments:

Ryan said...

Hey Mark, I agree with you that this is a tough issue. I was just flipping through 1 Corinthians, paying attention to Paul's argument for Christian freedom. While he says he has a "right" to a few things, he gives up his right for the sake of love.

I was also thinking that while some want to reclaim alcohol from abuse, you can reclaim abstinence from snarky seminarian culture ;)

Mark Hilbelink said...

hey ryan....no fair commenting on my blog if i can't read yours....can i get an invitation?

Ryan said...

Well, the one blog I had for awhile I decided to close. I started another one up and might start writing there again: http://schrijvenvanschreiber.blogspot.com/

In the meantime, Sarah and I started one at applesushi.blogspot.com

So, have any thoughts on the townhall meeting? (I don't remember if you were there or not.)

Mark Hilbelink said...

I thought the townhall meeting was good, but they could have chosen a better panel. The two panel members who were against were untouchable - one because of cultural differences and one because of personal experiences. I wish they would have put someone up there who could have made a decent case without the personal implications. It sent the message that "balanced" people are okay with drinking, but if you've got some strange novelty (culture, alcoholic relative, etc.), that might be a reason not to drink.

Ryan said...

That's a very good point. I thought townhall meeting was good. You could tell that people were listening intently--it could have gone on several more hours with comments. I don't think it's going to make it into the Kerux because it's an "in house" issue.

surfer-z said...

Chrisian freedom has as much to do with responsibility as with what's allowable. I'm afraid I missed the town hall b/c I had stuff to do and have thought this issue through quite a bit. As I mentioned on my post (thanks for responding) I think people ought to be free to abstain for any reason they want. In my heart, though, I feel that those who abstain will never be able to get the whole sense of what Scripture says about wine. It's a huge image/metaphor/gift having to do with blessedness, the eschaton, and sacrifice of Christ.

Erin Marshalek said...

One thing I've found is that, for the majority of the sem community, drinking is handled responsibly. But, there is definitely a sub-culture where that doesn't seem to be the case. Like you, Mark, I (and others) have been singled out at times because I usually don't drink. I don't know exactly why, but for some people, others' abstinence is offensive, even if no judgment is being passed. (Especially when judgment is only one reason why Xians might abstain...though there are a bunch of good [albeit sometimes personal] reasons to abstain as well.)

surfer-z said...

I have a sneaking suspicion that people who drink see people who don't drink as judging them in some kind of way. It's a really vague kind of percieved judgement. It strikes me that I almost never felt it in California, but it's quite common here in the midwest. I, for one, don't worry much about being judged, because I have a policy that I try to feel guilty as seldom as possible. Others may react in a more strident way...

Ryan said...

I know that this is the case in college: a lot of people get into drinking in the first place out of their own insecurity. Insecure people-groups can't tolerate much deviation from norms.

I'm not saying that this is what's happening at the seminary, but I wonder what extend alcohol serves as a "transitional object" in our vocational adolescence.

I don't think using alcohol to cope whether the problem be social anxiety or something else, is a good idea--later on in ministry when the stuff hits the fan you may turn to the bottle because you don't have friends around.

Sarah read an interesting statistic out of one of her 702 textbooks: 15% of people have dependency issues with alcohol at some point in their lives. So, how many people can you invite to a party before you're sure there's at least one raging alcoholic?

This all being said, I'm not sure how to handle this issue because it lies in the nexus of Christian freedom, hospitality, and a few other things.

Good conversation!

Mark Hilbelink said...

Zach, I think you're on to something I never thought about. I guess when there's any discussion of holiness, there's judging done from both sides: the people who don't do things judge those who are (ultra-conservatives) and those who do do things judge those who don't (ultra-liberals). We have women in town who wear dresses, hairs in a bun and don't speak unless spoken to. I probably judge them somewhere in my heart - don't make room for their view of holiness (and women covering their heads is actually explicitly Biblical).

Ryan, I wonder about seminarians (and Christians in general) using alcohol to cope. I wonder at the fact that, although alcohol was used in the Bible, it was usually a social thing done over a meal, not a lonely guy sitting at the bar drinking away his sorrows.

I often wonder if this shouldn't be the test: I know I could drink if I felt like it with a free conscience, but I choose not to. Zach & Ryan, you could probably not drink for a long period of time and be okay.

The danger, as always, is not being close enough to the center. As the quote at the top of my blog implies, I think one of the Holy Spirit's main jobs in our sanctification is bringing us back from the edge and giving us a dose of "centricity".

Ryan said...

Or, to frame centricity in terms of classic Christianity, we could talk about the cardinal virtue of temperance. The wikipedia article has some neat tidbits pertaining to the topic at hand. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperance_%28virtue%29